Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Then a Vacation

January 10th, 2010
Day 10

This weekend began with a bang.
Friday night was the International Student party and it was hosted in the downstairs “social” room right here at my dorm, Kongsgard Alle. There were people from Germany, Italy, France, Romania, Britain, Kenya, Austria, Poland, The Netherlands, Norway, and even Australia (just to name a few). Together the room was filled with a plethora of accents and lots of drinking and laughter. And even…some intense rounds of the American drinking game “tippy cup”! ha ha.
However with all of the excitement on Friday night, it was easy to forget one thing; this is already the longest I’ve ever been away from home…
By now, on any kind of vacation I have ever experienced, it would be time to pack up that pile of accumulated dirty clothes, catch the quickest ride to the airport and then, head home. And strange as it may sound, there is a part of me that feels like that’s exactly what should be happening. It’s kinda like that biological clock that wakes you up sometimes in the morning, just minutes before your alarm clock buzzes.
But my experience here has just begun. I will be here long enough to see the snow melt and the seasons change in Norway. And hopefully, I will be here long enough to learn some permanent and untranslatable things, through a journey that I have never had the opportunity to take. Either way, it’s a quiet Sunday in my dorm and today I miss my mom & dad, friends, family, and Elsie very much, so I thought I would write it down.
I love my “adventure” here, but I miss you all and am very grateful for each and every one of you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment