Wednesday, January 6, 2010

All The Skinny People



Day 6
My diet has become RADICALLY different in Norway. There are no Burger Kings, Mc.Donalds or WalMarts for hundreds of miles. But please, don’t feel bad for the Norwegian people, for their diets and car-less lifestyles have given them something we Americans pay millions of dollars every year for; flat stomachs. If you don’t believe me, come and see for yourself! Everyone in Norway is skinny and fit looking…
Today in the main lobby of Agder, I stopped and counted forty people. Of those forty people, not one was overweight. Yes, not one. In fact I would wager that since my arrival in Norway 6 days ago, I have seen less then ten overweight people all together! Of course with any population, there are some exceptions, however, most Norwegian men I have met are slender with high cheek bones, and the women; tall, skinny and naturally blonde.
Yet, I think there is more to this story than just the absence of fast food, with its burgers and fries dripping in oily animal fat. Yes, I would also wager that “skinniness” in Norway is the result of the quality of food as well. The food here consists of the most natural things I have ever tasted. The milk tastes like someone squeezed it straight from the cow into your glass. The cheese fills your nostrils when you open the package, like it has been pasteurized right there in your kitchen. The jam has thick chunks of fresh strawberries floating in it, so that you get a piece of fruit in every bite. And the bread…..its the most delicious bread I have ever tasted.
Pictured above is a photo of the food I purchased on my most recent trip to the grocery store. My bill- 442 kroner (or about 80 bucks). I know, expensive as hell, but soooo ridiculously delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Your dorm is HUGE! Lucky. It looks like you're having an amazing experience! I'm so happy for you and so happy I could help in anyway. I know you will have a life-changing experience. I love your writing! Have you considered becoming a writer?
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I see you started without fresh vegetables! Americans......:P
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete