Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Culture Shock

Day 20

At first, I planned to blog about the “Blow Out” international student party that took place on Thursday. However, I thought it would be more enlightening to write briefly about a culture shock that I have been experiencing here in Norway.
Firstly, I would like to acknowledge that every Norwegian that I have met thus far is not only nice, but appreciative of the differences we share. The signs of democracy, open-mindedness and an evolved society resonate from every street corner and classroom here in Norway, and as an American, I am lucky to get the chance to be here. That being said, I will move on to my next point.
In the United States (as I’ve realized more from living in Norway), we are actually quite chivalrous to one another! I guess, in being confined to the homogeneous mixture of my society, and having only spent a few weeks of my life in Mexico and The Bahamas, I was quite unaware of this fact. But I speak the truth! In the American public setting, it is not all that uncommon to see people holding doors open for each other, or to hear the exchange of such words as “please” and “excuse me” between complete strangers. But hear in Norway (as I was told in my second international student meaning), you will rarely hear the word “please, you will seldom see men holding doors open for women, and you will almost never here the phrase “excuse me”.
Now...when being exposed to this for the first time, a recluse American might ask, “Are Norwegians or worse yet, is Norwegian society innately rude?”
NO!
I would need to politely remind this American (who I unfortunately find myself being in brief moments), that this behavior is not the result of rudeness; it is merely the result of a different society that has formed thousands of miles away from our homes, culture, and history. Needless to say, it has taken some adjusting to. And even now, three weeks into my trip, I still find myself feeling mildly offended when I say “excuse me” after being bumped into by a stranger, and the gesture is not returned.
I would like to conclude by saying, these mannerisms, although hard to adjust to, are quite subtle. They are surface deep if you will, and I can guarantee, if you fall on the ice (unfortunately as I had to learn with a cup of coffee in my hand), or if you need help with Norwegian translation, or if you are just lost and need directions, Norwegians are always friendly and happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment